Tuesday, October 20, 2009

George's Baptism

A couple of pictures and weekly letter:

Elder & Sister O'Dell with George Chance at his Baptism



Sister O'Dell in the sack race at the ward picnic.



October 20, 2009



Dear Family, Friends & Loved Ones,

Well last Monday P-Day on Oct. 12 it rained most of the day and the Elders were downhearted as they wanted to do something fun. They wanted to go to the driving range and hit some golf balls, but couldn't because of the rain. And it was really windy. At about 5:30 they all came over and of course they were hungry and they like to “hang out” at our house with Sister O & me. Our house is always open and we enjoy having them as much! :) Then we all went to Sister Sonjo Classen home for FHE and she shared a movie with us called “Faith Like Potatoes” It was good but not like “Fireproof “ and “Facing the Giants” We all had a very enjoyable evening with them.

The man who made the movie “Faith like Potatoes” came to George about a week & half ago and had a prayer meeting or day at a big stadium here in George. They had a Prayer Day for Rain. We are in such a drought and the water, lakes are at an all time low.

On Tuesday we had a great lesson with Gerard & Desiree. I know that she knows the Gospel is true but is having a hard time making a commitment as she seems to feel so much worldly pressures and commitments that she is struggling to give up. I hope she can continue on the straight and narrow path forward. We also visited Gary & John O lene after that. They are close to setting a Baptismal date but still have a beak down with a word of wisdom problem now and then.

On Thursday we had a workshop with Pres Probst and his assistants (AP's) For lunch before the meeting we had a Braai (Bar B/Q) of hot dogs and wors and some chicken salad sandwiches. Then we took lunch to the meeting for them to eat on the way home to Cape Town (5 hours away) as they didn't have time to stay and eat. On Friday we had district meeting and correlation meeting for 2 hours plus meeting.

Saturday we had a Branch Picnic at the Botanical Gardens. We had a great turn out and everybody had a really great time. We had a lot of fun games that everyone participated in. Sister O had somebody come by and wanted to know what the name of the church was, so she told them. The lady told Sister O how great it was that we could do this and that everybody participated and was having such a wonderful time together. She said she was really impressed. I guess that is the way the gospel works.

On Sunday we went to church in Knysna. We enjoyed it so much, but especially because Elder O had the opportunity to baptize our African son George. He has come so far and is such a good young man. He will be confirmed next Sunday, so we will be going back to knysna. After the baptism they had George bear his testimony. It was unbelievable how good it was. It was so touching and he gave it so forceful and with no hesitation. We are really proud of him. It was at least 15 minutes. He still calls us Mom & Dad and we still call him our African Son.

Well I guess we have written enough except this important thing and that is to tell you how much we love all of you family and friends and also how we love the gospel and its teachings. It is so important in our lives.

We Love you so much and realize that we can be together as an eternal family if we do what we know to be right. When we look back on our lives, we realize that we all have made many mistakes. I know that I have made my share of them. Isn't it wonderful that because of the gift of the atonement that we can be forgiven if we are willing to repent. I am asking each of you my children and grandchildren to forgive me of my weaknesses I have and of my wrong doings. As you get older you really learn to have love and charity in your heart and in your life. I love each of you so much and if I have hurt or offended any of you, that you will forgive me. I hope all of you will read D& C 64.
Especially verses 9&10 where it says “ Wherefore, I say unto you that you ought to forgive one another: for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord: for he remaineth in him the greater sin. I the Lord well forgive whom I will for forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.”

Sister O and I love you all so much and miss you more then you will ever know. Our Prayers are with you always.



Love to All

Elder & Sister O'Dell
Mom & Dad (Grandpa & Grandma)

No comments:

Post a Comment