Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Years Letter from SA 2010






January 8th 2010

Dear Family, Friends & Loved Ones.

Well the holidays are over and we survived. They were great because we got to talk to all of our families.  That's what makes  Holidays so special.

On Saturday after Christmas, Sister O & I had Gary & John O over for a braai with the Elder Cane and Cooney. We had been wanting to do this for some time. Just as we set down to eat we received a call from Sonja Sister asking me to come and come right now they need us to come and help them sort something out. It sounded like we really needed to come right over. Sister O and Sonja (Branch RSP) are really good friends.  When we got there Sonja was having a serious depression, she was having a very hard time coping with all that had been going on with her ex husband.  So sister O talk her into coming home with us for the night so she could take care of her. Sister O stayed by her and talked to her for a long while.  Then neither of them went to church they stayed home and tried to help her get things sorted out.  She is fine now and doing well.  Hard times sometime really get to us.

Also on Saturday night  I was ask to talk in church plus I had my SS class to teach as well. I Believe my talk turned out very good, and I was happy  with it . About ½ the people there said how much they enjoy my talk. We had a lot of members missing because of the Holidays, but we had a lot of visitors there to take there place. They have a month Holiday here for Christmas time.

For Sunday dinner we had a braai, mostly what was left over from Christmas. Sister O had been so busy with Christmas and Sonja she didn't have much time and she needed some rest.

Well on Monday P-Day the Elders and I played golf at a small course near Knysna. It was a par 55 and I shot a 60 and I was very happy with that. Missionary work is slow right now as so many people are out of town on holiday.  We visited with Gary and john O on Tuesday and things are looking good that they will be married and baptized.  On Wednesday we spent a few more hours with them and they said they were going to be married and baptized. This is so thrilling to us to have them commit to having the gospel in there lives. They have wanted baptism but there smoking problem was hard to get through.

Sister O is sort of having a crisis at this time. The water problem is so bad that our landlord suggested doing our laundry at a laundry-mat and to save our bath and shower water to flush toilets with and to try and cut down on using so much water for baths.  This is really hard for sister O as she likes to go swimming when she takes a bath.

Well today is Thursday New Years Eve. We are going to pick up the Knysna Elders and go to Tsitsikamma to visit George and begin teaching his cousin Elizabeth. It is 233K to there from our home. We usually meet at Plettenberg Baai. But we didn't want him to hiking on New Years Eve as it is not safe with so many drunk drivers.  We taught from the Ensign on the talk by Elder Holland on the Book of Mormon. Elizabeth is a very intelligent person and a sweet lady and she really wants to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  She has a one and ½ month old baby boy and wants us to come to Knysna on Sunday to give her son a name and a blessing and I said I would.  So that means that I will have to get a substitute for our Sunday School Class.





We had all the Elders for New Years Eve. Then Knysna Elders came over to do a Baptismal interview with Gary & John O as the plans are that they will be married and baptized on Saturday.  About 9pm on  New Years Eve I went with the Elders to the Church and we watched he latest Harry Potter movie titled  "Half Blood Prince" It was over at 12 midnight. It seemed so strange that it is already 2010 time flies so fast.

Well today is Saturday January 2, 2010 and we survived the new year ( Boy was that hard) and it will be and exciting day.  Sister O and I are taking Gary and John O and Sonja for the Wedding at noon at the Knysna Chapel. It was a beautiful wedding. Pres. Atkinson and they both looked so nice. I think we are as excited as they are. We then went back to George for the baptismal service, but first we took them to the Botanical Gardens for a lot of wedding pictures. They look so happy together.

I gave a talk on baptism and being confirmed and receiving the Holy Ghost. Then we went to the river for the Baptisms. I baptized Gary and Elder Cooney baptized John O.  This was so exciting as we have been working with them a long time. John O told us that this was the Happiest Day of her Life. That was so great to her she really did look happy and excited and we were so happy for them. That evening Sister O and I took them and Sonja out to dinner for a wedding president.  Today is Sunday and the day of their confirmation. I really hated to miss this as they wanted me to confirm them, but I had already committed to give a blessing to Elizabeth's baby son in Knysna. We also heard that John O bore her testimony and that she did a beautiful job and almost every one was in tears. After the blessing of Elizabeth's son we gave her a lesson on the restoration.  She seems very excited and interested in learning about the gospel.  I'm sure she will embrace the gospel as did George and be very strong in the gospel.  There missionary experiences can be so wonderful and we again encourage more of you senior couples to think about going on a mission and enjoy these wonderful blessings.

We sew a movie for FHE at Sonja's last night with Gary and John O It was called "Mr. Bones" part one.  I hope all of you can find a copy of this and watch it. You can see the real Africa if you can survive all the laughing.  It is so funny.

Well it is time to close and to tell you how much we love and miss all of you. Sister O and  I are so lucky too have such wonderful families. You are all so Great and we are so proud of all of  you and we really do love and miss you.

                                                                                          Elder & Sister O'Dell
                                                                                      Mom, Dad Linda & Woody
                                                                          Grandpa Papa Grandpa Woody Linda Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment