Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Last Letter of January

1. Elder Lebala making us Pop for dinner


2. All the children sitting so quiet waiting for cookies


3. Elder Onen with the O'Dells


4. Elder Rigby doing his first Baptism




January 30, 2011


Dear Family,Friends & Loved Ones,

Greetings again from beautiful South Africa, It seems like time is really flying by fast. We are often told that this is a sign of old age, but we know that can't be true Ha! Ha!. Time is getting short as we have only 21/2 months before we head for home. Sister Herbert called about a week ago and talked to us about going home so she could begin arranging our schedule. EXCITING

Sunday a few weeks ago I asked Sister O to talk in church. She really hates to do this but she really does a fantastic job, after church I had 3 people to set apart 2 for SS teachers and 1 for seminary teacher. We have a really great group of young men & women of seminary age this year. I think we will have 7 in seminary. That is really good for our small branch and we really have some really great youth in our branch.

Sister O & I have had a number of opportunities to go on teaching visits with our Elders. It seems as though they are teaching some great people. We would really be blessed if the gospel would grow in this area both in number and strength. We love the gospel so much and are really excited at what is starting to happen here. We know it will take time but we are really encouraged.

On Monday Sister O and I had to go to East London fairly early as Elder Onen was having some ear surgery and we wanted to be there for him. The surgery went well. Elder Onen was quite out of it all day on Monday. We had a family night with 4 of our Elders from East London at the Jones's empty flat where we stayed and had a good time with them. On Tuesday at 7am we were back at the Hospital and picking up Elder Onen to bring him home to our flat in Port Alfred. He was with us for 10 days. He is really a great Elder but it still was good to take him back to East London. Sister O & I love the Elders so much but it is also nice to have time to or for ourselves. Elder Onen is the one we wrote to you earlier about having his family killed in front of him etc. He has had some real adversity in his life and struggles but I'm sure the Lord will bless him deeply in his life for giving of his service under such circumstances. After his final Doctor appointment on February 7, he will fly home to Uganda on February 8th. He is struggling somewhat with fears as I'm sure we can all understand. If he keeps strong with his faith we told him he would be blessed. President & Sister Probst came by Friday afternoon and visited Elder Owen and ourselves for about hour and then to the church to have a meeting (training) with our Elders for about 2 hours.

On Wednesday I had a lot to do and I got most of it done and then we had the Platero's over from Grahamstown as it was Pres Platero's birthday. We had KFC Chicken (because that is Pres. Platero's best food he likes to eat) Then Pres. Platero wanted to go Golfing for his birthday so we went for 13 holes along with Elder Moorcroft & Bangerter as they didn't have any appointments at that time.

When we finished we had the Zone leaders at our flat. They came to do splits with our Elders and they stayed with us for 2 nights. Elder Onen was still here so we had quite a house full.

I've been trying to visit a Brother Tsitsi from our branch. He hasn't been out for over a year. He received the Melchezidek Priesthood and since he had the priesthood he thought (I guess) that he could start his own church. I haven't been able to contact him yet but we know that his wife really wants to come back to the church. I will keep trying but I think he has been avoiding me.


President Probst & his wife were here Last Sunday and we had a really good sacrament service. Afterwords we both had some interviews and didn't get home until about 2:30pm a long day as we were there at 8am. Then at 4 pm we went with Elder Moorcroft & Bangerter to teach a new investigator. He is such a great person and really wants to hear more but his wife believes in God but doesn't believe in religion and leaves the room when we begin teaching.

This last week we have been able to do a few service projects which we always like to be able to do. We had 7 investigators out to church last Sunday which is always exciting. Yesterday at church we really had a good turnout. One of our speakers didn't show up so I had to talk for the last 15min. Then since it was the 5th Sunday we had a combined RS & PH meeting and I was in charge of this and we really had a good meeting (I think) We talked about. Family, Love and Family Home Evening.

On Saturday we had a baptismal service for a man that has been attending for several months. His name is Ncebazakhe Hola ( try and say this one) He wanted me to baptize him but I talked him into having Elder Rigby baptize him as he did most of the teaching and it meant so much to Elder Rigby. We had a good turn out to the baptismal service and Sister O made 10 doz cookies. Everyone over here really likes treats and you can never make too many. Elder Lebala did the confirmation and really did a great job with a beautiful blessing. It is so wonderful to see these young men grow and mature in the gospel. I had one of our YW ask me to give her a blessing during SS as she wasn't feeling well. This is always such a wonderful privilege. Her name is Olewethu Ngcibi and seems to have about the strongest testimony of any young women you would ever see. I wish we had many more like her.

After the baptism when we went back to the church for refreshments it was so neat to see. There were 6 or 7 young primary children sitting in the small primary chairs. They all had their arms folded and was patiently waiting for their cookies.

Last night we Braai'd steaks and Elder Lebala fixed pop. (This is one thing we have heard a lot about but we have never eaten any) The people in SA always tell us they like meat and pop. We had never had the pop. It is a thick corn meal like poi or a masa with not much flavor. He made a big pan of meat, spicy chili etc. which was really good that you eat the pop with. We all enjoyed it very much.

Well it is about time to close again. We love you very much and miss everyone. We have been gone so long you will all probably forget who we are and what we look like. (except for Jenna Gale she knows that I am bald & Grandma is short) But we hope not. We can't wait to come home.

Love you all so much
President O'Dell & Sister O'Dell
Mom & Dad (Woody & Linda)
Grandpa Woody & Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment