Sunday, May 17, 2009

To Mom from Jeannie (before reporting to the Mission Home)

Dear Mom,

I am writing this letter for you because I wanted to let you know how much I love you.  I have had some things I wanted to share with you, and I haven't taken the time to do so.  For this, I am sorry.  I hope that when you have moments of missing home, that you can look at letters like this one, that will uplift you and encourage you, and allow you to remember how loved you are.  
 
You make people laugh and smile.  You have a gift for bringing people together.  People are comfortable around you, and I hope that all those you come into contact in Africa, will also know and feel of your love for the Savior through these amazing qualities.  
 
You have been my surrogate mother when I married Owen.  I don't know if you have fully realized it, but it dawned on me when I gave birth to Leo, how much I needed you.  I have never turned to anyone like I have turned to you.  I think that I have always wanted a mother like you, and when I met you and have known you since my marriage to Owen, you have been what I have always wanted.  Perhaps you didn't know how much I have needed you through the births of Kennedy and Leo, and our many, many moves to many, many different homes.  I know how mad or disappointed you might have been with my disorganization at these times, but I hope you know how disoriented I was at those times and still needed you.  I put away any pride and completely surrendered my hopeless self to you.
 
I hope you can know that I love my mother here on earth, but she doesn't have a lot of the ideal characteristics I have looked up to.  I find these in you.  I hope that those you surround your love with, will know to look to you as a guide and as an example too.  You are a very caring mother and grandmother, and you are grateful for your family.  Despite the many hardships, trials, tribulations and sorrows, you have remained strong in the gospel.  You have not waivered nor have you left altogether.  I hope that no matter what happens in Africa or here at home, you will continue to stay strong.  We all need your example.
 
There is no doubt how missed you will be at home.  But there is no "good" time to serve the Lord, so we all just do it.  After all, He does come first, right?  I know that we will all be blessed by your service and loyalty to the gospel.  So I thank you for serving our Lord and Savior.  I thank you for being the best example of a mother and grandmother anyone could ever hope for, wish for, or dream for.  I love you with all my heart.  And I will miss you so much.
 
Love,
Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment